FIRE MARSHAL TOWN OF NEW CANAAN
By now most college bound students have started or returned to their respective destinations. It is a time of big change for first time collegians beginning the next stage in their lives. Fire Safety is probably the last thing that you are thinking about as they head off to college. However, Fire Safety is just as important – even more so – in dorms or apartment buildings with hundreds of young students living. Remember the tragic fire just a couple of years ago at Seton Hall in New Jersey where three students died when a fire swept their dorm building?
The New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office would like to offer some important fire safety tips for this new adventure:
- Insure that each sleeping room is equipped with operable smoke detectors.
- Candles are a leading cause of fires – never burn candles or other open flame devices in dorm rooms and common areas.
- Never use extension cords in place of proper, permanent wiring.
- If given the choice, opt for a dorm/living quarters equipped with fire sprinkler systems.
- Know ALL ways out of your room/dorm and, where each exit discharges. Actually take a few minutes to walk the routes to familiarize yourself.
- In High-rise buildings, always have a means of re-entering your apartment if the hall becomes untenable (have room keys ready to go).
- Always follow all directions and guidelines of the school and participate if fire drills as directed.
- Learn your address so if you have to call 911 on your cell phone you can give the proper location.
- Learn the location of fire alarm pull stations and the sound of the alarm system.
- Never cook in your room – cooking related is one of the main causes of dorm fires.
The New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wishes all young adults heading off to new frontiers a happy and Fire Safe future. If you have further questions regarding fire safety please call us at 594-3030.