Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

FIRE MARSHAL TOWN OF NEW CANAAN

Fred S. Baker,   Fire Marshal
William Dingee, Deputy Fire Marshal
Robert Yost, Fire Inspector

Town Hall
77 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840
(203) 594-3030
Fax (203) 594-3126

It’s getting cold in Connecticut, and the arrival of winter means we will be firing up our heating systems and wood burning stoves to warm our homes. When we use our furnaces and stoves and spend more time indoors, we are at increased risk of exposure to carbon monoxide; an odorless, colorless gas. Every year, hundreds of people die from exposure to carbon monoxide – deaths that could easily be avoided by taking simple actions to protect ourselves.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by burning fuel. Any combustion appliance (i.e., gas furnaces, wood stoves, hot water heaters, gas ranges or dryers, and household generators) produces CO. A car running in an attached garage or the use of a hibachi indoors could also lead to a CO buildup in a home. Early symptoms of CO poisoning can be similar to those of common illnesses, including headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue. Since CO is odorless and colorless and initial symptoms could be mistaken for the flu, an exposed person may not be aware they are being poisoned until it is too late. Unborn babies, infants and persons with anemia or heart disease are particularly at risk.

Some steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from CO poisoning:

  • Make sure appliances are installed and vented according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes.
  • Have heating and ventilation systems (including chimneys) serviced and/or inspected annually.
  • Be aware of problems that could indicate an appliance is not operating properly, such as a decreasing hot water supply, heaters that do not fully heat a home, burning odors or soot on vents and appliances.
  • Buy a CO detector for your home or apartment. Be sure the detector meets Standard UL 2034 of the Underwriters Laboratory. Keep in mind that installing a detector is just one of the precautions you should take.
  • If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected get to fresh air immediately and call 911. Fire Fighters can respond and monitor for the presence of CO.

Things you should NOT do:

  • Use a gas range or oven for heating your home
  • Leave a car running in a closed garage
  • Burn charcoal indoors
  • Operate unvented fuel-burning appliances indoors unless approved for such use

For more information on carbon monoxide and other fire safety issues please contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 594-3030.

Back to Public Safety Page